Thursday, June 5, 2008

GREGSKY'S FINALS WRAP UP

Well, what started out looking like a dud actually had some pop to it. Granted it didn’t fully live up to the hype, but you have to admit that it came close. At the very least it was one of the more entertaining series in recent history thanks in large part to the triple overtime Game 5. The result was what I expected to see and only now I am able to feel good about picking the Wings to win. I have to admit that I was hoping the Pens would push it to seven just for dramatic effect if not to extend the season just one more game. I hate it when the season ends because I instantly start thinking about next season and now I have to wait. I hate waiting. One thing I do like is that I was able to reach my goal this year of toping my picks record from the previous year. Going 11 – 4 had to have kicked the every living shit out of that stupid freakin’ monkey, which puts a “Grinch-like” smile across my face. I hate that stupid freakin’ monkey.

Anyway, enough about that, what I want to talk about is what I consider to be the defining moment in the series. You remember, when Henrik Zetterberg was able to get a last second stick check on a wide-open Crosby at the goalmouth. If Crosby would have scored there it could have put this series on its ear. And that my friends, is why Zetterberg without a doubt deserved to win the Conn Smythe. It’s funny sometimes how this game boils down to simple plays, but that is the very reason why we teach our kids to focus on making the smart and simple plays because it may just turn out to be the difference between winning and losing. I know, in this age of “tree-hugging” we try to teach our kids that winning isn’t everything, and it’s true winning isn’t everything, but every kid will tell you that losing sucks. When it comes to winning the Stanley Cup all of that “tree-hugging” crap goes out the window. It’s all about winning and doing everything it takes to earn the right to call yourself a champion. It is the hardest trophy to win in all of sports because you have to earn it. The Cup doesn’t care if you are hurt and playing through injuries. It doesn’t care if you are a superstar or a 4th liner. The Cup will turn a deaf ear to your complaints of being tired and bruised. No, the Stanley Cup only recognizes those of strong will and determination. Those who have the heart to go the distance are the only ones who can raise the Cup over their heads and let out a primal scream. Those few are the only ones who get their names etched on this glorious trophy. This year that right belongs to the Red Wings.

Just to show you that I’m not totally against the “tree-hugger” mentality, I will give props to the Penguins for a hard fought battle. They fought hard, even when getting severely out played, and showed the never give up attitude right to the bitter end. Pens fans shouldn’t feel bad for their team in any way, shape or form; this is just the beginning for this club. Even the great Oilers of the 80’s had to lose their first chance at the Cup. This year was nothing more than a stepping-stone and a learning process that will guide them to the Promised Land in the near future.

No comments: