Thursday, May 22, 2008

GREGSKY'S PLAYOFF PICKS - STANLEY CUP FINALS

Well folks this is it. It’s down to the finals and I’m down to my last pick. As of now I’m sitting at 10 – 4 and need a win to reach my goal of besting my record from last year. If I end up blowing this now I think I will still be satisfied due to a few factors. One being that a tie at least shows consistency (besides, 10 – 5 really isn’t that bad) another is at least I will have been treated to what should be a whale of a series and finally I was able to get to this point without having to pull any tricks out of my bag to do battle against my primate nemesis Maggie. You don’t know what a relief it is not to have to throw your poop at a spinning wheel just to beat a stupid freakin’ monkey! On the other hand maybe you do. I really shouldn’t judge. Anyway, that’s certainly a discussion for another time right now the finals pick is all that matters and I can’t for the life of me decide a winner in this battle and feel good about it.

DETROIT VS. PITTSBURGH
In my opinion, the two best teams in the league will face off in this beauty of a cup final. There is no David versus Goliath in this one, only two Goliath’s going head to head. Each team posses enough weapons to do the other in and this factor should even things out between them. The biggest question is which team has the most heart and enough gas left in the tank to get the job done? Who will be the one to reach down deeper and find that extra gear that no one else has? As they say, the cream will always rise to the top, only in this series it’s a crapshoot on which superstar will pull it off. Will it be Datsuyk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Franzen or Osgood? Will it be Crosby, Malkin, Hossa, Staal or Fleury? My bet is that each of them will play a factor, but only one of them will be MVP and it won’t be an easy choice to make. No matter how this series ends not since the ’82 – ’83 finals have we had the pleasure of witnessing so much talent at one time fight for the prize and that alone makes this a dream series. The NHL hierarchy must be completely giddy with joy over this, although through strict laws they are not allowed to show any emotion, but on the inside you know they are all pissing themselves. Can you say “Cha-ching”? This match-up has me torn right down the middle as far as picking a winner. My heart says pick the Pens, it is the romantic choice, the kids done good story, the let’s bring a Championship to a city that almost lost their team pick. My head says pick the Wings, it is the money bet, the smart and logical choice, the let’s bring a Championship to a city that desperately needs some sort of good happening pick. Do I go with my head or with my heart? I’ve always been told to follow my heart but not to lose my head in the process, so you can see why I’m having trouble making this pick and have been staring a blinking cursor on this page for quite some time not wanting to make this pick. I know as soon as I do I won’t feel good about it so I guess I better just do it and get it over with. DETROIT IN SEVEN (But I will be rooting for the Pens to take it in six. Don’t try to understand the madness just embrace it!) Enjoy!

No comments: