Monday, October 6, 2008

JUST IN CASE YOU WERE BUSY WATCHING FOOTBALL

Hey gang, I know you watched the opening of the NHL regular season on Sunday, right? You did watch hockey on Sunday, didn’t you? Please tell me you were at least aware that the NHL opened its season this weekend in Europe and Verses was showing two games on Sunday. You were aware, right? Right? (Whew!) For a minute there I thought you were going to tell me that you were too busy watching football all weekend to notice that hockey had started or something equally as ridiculous as that. Okay people, you have to stop scaring me like that or I’m going to start thinking that you’re not paying attention.

Just in case you missed it, here are a few things that I noticed. (Because I was watching)

The games this weekend left me wishing that they showed a bit more of Prague and Stockholm.

Three out of the four teams that played escaped from Europe with points.

Tampa Bay gave up twice as many goals than they scored, no surprise to me, but Melrose might want to focus attention there.

Marty St. Louis’ backhand goal was a thing of beauty!

Jason Spezza and Dany Heatley look sharp, not sold yet about the rest of the team.

This could be a year where Malkin absolutely dominates, IF, he drives to the net like he did on his first goal.

Markus Naslund looks too comfortable with the Rangers, he could easily net 30+ this year if he can stay healthy.

Jaromir who?

Alex Auld continues to be one of the better backup goaltenders in the league.

Brandon Dubinsky is New York’s best-kept secret. Not bad for a big Alaskan boy, there should be more press on this kid.

And finally… BRIAN ENGBLOM NO LONGER LOOKS LIKE HE IS WEARING A MUSKRAT PELT ON HIS MELLON!!! Looking sharp Brian, it’s about time you made the adjustment. Now maybe we can start taking you seriously!

No comments: